Hazardous Materials - Android Version

• I do not know whether to consider it as a finished and complete project, but I certainly managed to reach a definite and desired state. I published on the Google Play Store Hazardous Materials, it is possible that I will make some updates or fixes, but I wanted to share and leave the link if you want to try the game.

For now it is only for Android devices.

Find the game here: Google Play Store

Now I will focus on the follow-up and on how to improve and implement new functionalities, taking advantage of what I learned in this first game, with the help of Jonathan's courses on Udemy and the suggestions of this community.

Thanks to those who want to try it, leave me your comments and suggestions. ^^:thumbup:

• Before I nit pick (Yea its coming!), I wanted to stop just to simply say how awesome it is that you've completed this project and put it out there. I downloaded it and a big stupid smile on my face that this came from a game jam submission. Totally awesome, and I still love the music and sound effects. Feel good about this cause its a stepping stone in the best possible direction - up wards! (unless you're trying to sky dive).

This brings me to the next part, where I get to be picky. If your intention is to leave this project alone and simply call it good then by all means use this advice for your next project instead of updating this one, however I feel if applied correctly you could pop some unity ads in this one and do fairly well. Seriously consider pursuing this game further. Take all of this with a grain of salt as each mind is different! I hope me picking things a part doesnt offend you in anyway, so here goes my first public attempt at helping with this type of thing lmao.

The article I wrote about a rewarding player experience is absolutely crucial to games like this. ( A Rewarding Player Experience ). The problem you are going to run into is replayability. Its a fun little gimmick game for about five minutes, and then people will simply put it down. The basic functions of casual play is all there, and the way the game works doesn't need to change - but the experience does in order for this game to really do well.

When I fill the jar for example, all it does is add a bar to the jar im holding. This is the same process for however long I choose to play, it never gets more exciting than filling the jar up and turning it in for a life or speed boost. When I get a life or speed boost, it shows up as plain text in the top right of my screen and stays there until I choose to use it. Sometimes I even forget its there. These are all problems with replay-ability, and keep the game at the same pace forever.

Here are the changes I would personally make in a project like this.

1) When the fluids make impact with the jar, particles pop out of the drop to simulate the fluid free falling into the jar.

2) The fluids can pulsate to simulate radioactive fluids. The lines as you fill up the jar will share this pulse.

3) Missing the fluids and they fall down, has a great effect of the vibration in the device. I would additionally add a red aura around the screen that grows

covering more of the screen as you lose lives. This creates an intensity to the player and adds difficulty. The more lives they lose the more intense the red aura gets and the closer it gets to the center of the screen. This will add urgency to preventing mistakes and should force your players to pay more attention by default. Toss in a camera shake as if it fell so far it had a heavy impact on the ground level!

4) There doesnt seem to be any difficulty modifier. The longer I play the harder it should get. The harder it gets the more material types that appear that provide more points when turned in, also adding new colors to the jar lines as they hit. This is the skinners box method, where essentially we have the thought that the more we play this game, the more materials can be spawned, making us await further rewards. Speed up the music as the game speeds up to add intensity.

5) I would remove the point system for reward all together, and instead add them to the queue for what might drop from the materials. This makes obtaining powerups more rare, and you can increase the power ups available as time goes on. This creates value to them instead of letting them sit, which can be beneficial to the player, but you want them on their toes to stay focused. You want the potential loss, so they have to play again to get farther.

6) Turning in your points should be more rewarding. Something as simple as adding pulsating particles that spawn from the storage unity and shoot up to make impact with the score UI and then the points are added, makes a visually appealing score method.

7) when there is one life left, the mentioned red aura would pulsate and the last remaining heart would flash slowly. More urgency!

I'm sure there is some other stuff, but this is primarily the things I noticed that I felt could make this a top ten game. Go take a look at the app store when you have time and just download any top arcade game or casual title. Take notice of not the simple functions, but how the functions create a rewarding experience. Really take time to think about how a simple functions looks on screen.

Are you just collecting red fluid and turning them in? Or are you collecting a terrible pulsating radioactive mucus, trying to save the people below you before they get exposed to a deadly virus? The difference will always be in the visual presentation of the most simple actions. Even just pressing a menu button can shoot lights and make explosion noises and create a beautiful screen transition that just feels good - versus, press a button and the next screen loads in.

Hope this helps in some way, if not for this project than for the future. Good luck my dude and keep it up. Its great seeing your progress - and while we dont do this type of detail digging for game jam entries, I'm happy to give feedback like this to anyone who is seriously considering being on the app store.

• Before I nit pick (Yea its coming!), I wanted to stop just to simply say how awesome it is that you've completed this project and put it out there. I downloaded it and a big stupid smile on my face that this came from a game jam submission. Totally awesome, and I still love the music and sound effects. Feel good about this cause its a stepping stone in the best possible direction - up wards! (unless you're trying to sky dive).

This brings me to the next part, where I get to be picky. If your intention is to leave this project alone and simply call it good then by all means use this advice for your next project instead of updating this one, however I feel if applied correctly you could pop some unity ads in this one and do fairly well. Seriously consider pursuing this game further. Take all of this with a grain of salt as each mind is different! I hope me picking things a part doesnt offend you in anyway, so here goes my first public attempt at helping with this type of thing lmao......

First of all, let me thank you with all the esteem and happiness I have for this community and for you! I am very happy and fervent to be able to have any kind of suggestion, criticism and reporting regarding the game and its aspects. Thank you.

Specifically for each point these are the considerations I have made:

1) You're absolutely right and believe me, one of the things I would like to put is exactly what you described, the impact effect of the drops !! We are in tune!

2) excellent idea, among other things would make even more visible the amount of material collected and the urgency to get rid of the danger

3) and 4) These were planned for the sequel, I would like to redo the game by implementing everything. I could try to sketch the code and features already published in this and then bring it all (better) in the sequel.

5) interesting game modes. I wanted to already differentiate the materials that fall, I could include the poweup and or any malus (to avoid ...)

6) Great idea, I already wanted to give feedback of some kind when recovering the powerup both to give feedback to the player and to report effectively that it was activated. I even thought of making the speed of temporary movement, with a trail of the character when he shoots from one position to another.

7) Yes, I will definitely implement this !! definitely has an urgent impact for the player !!

Thanks thanks thanks!! I do not know how to say it but believe me I really appreciate every criticism and suggestion. It makes me open, attentive and stimulates me to do better and learn more.

Really thank you !!! ;)^^

• Hello. I just wanted to tell you that I made a small update at the game.

I tryed to put into practice the suggestions received and i have add some extras that would make the gameplay more interesting.

• I adjusted a bit 'of code, there is obviously no feedback in the game but I'm glad, however, have fixed and improved the source code.
    • I added a screen shake and a visual representation of the loss of energy and life in the game.
    • If you miss a droplet, a reddish mist rises on screen moving around.
    • At the last life remained, the heart pulsates and makes the state of urgency visible.
    • When a bonus is available, the text flashes and calls attention.
    • I put a particle effect an the collection of droplets (not too obvious to stay in a "retro" and minimalistic style).
    • Fixed icons for the game because some devices shows the default Unity icon instead of mine.
    • At the Game Over I added few small animations. Now losing the game will have a visual impact (it will not seem only paused with the only "game over" text...)

I will not add anything else for now. I would like to go further and take advantage of what I have learned and experienced with this project.

I could see how googleplay works and how to update an apk, also is fun look at the statistics.

It's time to move on to something else, and I have some projects in my mind.

Thanks for the feedback you'll want to leave me. If you have installed the game try to do the update, for those who have never seen it and want to try it you can find it here:

https://play.google.com/store/…ukeita.HazardousMaterials

Thanks again for everything!! At the next game !!

• Played your game and took some video (I'll upload later and link ya). Got to as round 4000 points before having to get back to work.

This would work excellent as one of those old school handheld pocket games. Plays almost exactly like one, which is cool.

Definitely had fun finding a good pattern to collect the waste and seeing how the power ups work.

Good base game, has a lot of potential and different ways you could build on it. Thank you for sharing. :)

• Hello and thank you for playing !!
    The game is in fact a tribute to the old "game & watch" pocket games. he would like to remember the feeling of arcade cabinets.

I was inspired by Nintendo's "SafeBuster" (find the game here )
    The bonus system, especially the doubling of the score, should give the game a certain strategy and planning but I'm not so certain of being successful.
    I'm working with a friend to the sequel of the game. If you want you can follow the devblog I'm keeping here on GameDevHq.
    For more info, if you like, find my friend and mine instagram profiles here and here.

Hello and thank you again !!