Posts by zareth_ElementZ

Definitively graphics are one of my weaknesess.

I'm not using pixelart, but I'm actually using MagicaVoxel for a project that I'm working on. In the meantime I'm also trying to learn how to draw small things in photoshop using a Wacom. It's not an easy task for me, I'm not so good at drawing, but I hope that with some practice I can do something better in a near future.

I've found in voxels an easy way to create graphics at this moment. They are not entirely making me happy, but it's all I can do right now :)

Awesome. I'm going to try to get some video up soon to showcase the method. :)

Without knowing how the scripts are connected it's difficult to tell, but I'm thinking something with how the SpiderAnimationEvent script is being handled / where it's at and how it's telling the Spider to call "attack", seems like it's positioning the acid attack to wherever this event is instead of the spider. Maybe try to have the Spider script itself call it's own Attack method and see if that works for you, then work from there.

ive used the code below and it almost works well. when i turn to the right it speed is grate however, when i turn to the left it speeds up super fast. so im amusing that the turn buffer (smoothness) is only being applied to the y's positive direction and when it goes to the y's negative direction it speeds up.

Anyone know how i might fix this issue?

see code below.

Code
    1. void RotateBodyByLookDirection()
    2. {
    3. transform.RotateAround(Head.transform.position, Vector3.up, Head.transform.localEulerAngles.y * turnBuffer);
    4. }

Try

Code
    1. void RotateBodyByLookDirection()
    2. {
    3. transform.RotateAround(Head.transform.position, Vector3.up, Time.deltaTime * turnBuffer);
    4. }

Then mess with the turnBuffer value and see what the results are.

Depends on many things what could be happening. Wheres the code located on the actual acid spit? If its attached to the spider, try spawning it with position transform.position (the spiders current position). Alternately you could create an empty, make the spider its parent, then use that as the location of where the acid spawns. Then you can move the empty wherever you want to get the best spawn location for it.

Last year I came up with my own unique way of creating pixel art that is simple and looks amazing.

skye-mcclure-nth1.jpg?1539280397

Go to my ArtStation account that has some images and video for nth (in development rpg):

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qALkZn

All of the environment art was created this way. Scroll down around halfway and you'll find examples of the "pixel brushes" I've created and use.

Software, I use MediaBang Paint Pro, which is completely Free: https://medibangpaint.com/en

The process is simple. I create a brush that contains multiple sprites. Then I simply use the brush tool to paint the sprites. Messing around with the settings of the brush you can come up with unique looks using the same pixel brush. I use a drawing tablet (Wacom) but this can be done with just a mouse (you just won't get pressure capabilities).

I'm posting about this because graphics can be one of the things holding people back. If anyone is interested, I might make a short video explaining it further (and because visual is easier to understand sometimes).

I took a closer look at the code.

Code
    1. for (int i = 0; i<1; i++) // Limits to only 1 clone spawned
    2.     {
    3.         if (i > 0)

This might be why. Your for loop only ever reaches 0, because it's always less than 1, so your if > 0 never actually runs because it never reaches above zero. You might try i <= 1. Lemme know if that helps.

I'm deciding how I want to make squareroot2 completely open source. The goal is to have a complete game available to mess around with and use to possibly make other games with.

Would this be something the indie dev community would be interested in?

All the software I use is Free. All the assets would be open to anyone to use (animations, music, sound effects, etc).

If I ever got the time to do so, I would want to create a tutorial series as well.

I really want to show how you can make a fun game without needing schooling or expertise in a field. And you dont need expensive hardware or software. Something that kids could pick up and follow and complete. (Classroom project?)

Let your game design itself sometimes. It's great to have design documents and a plan, but if your game is playing one way but your previous ideas were something else, take a look at the game in it's current state and see if it's possibly a better direction.

If possible, test often! Try to make your game break, find bugs, etc.

For starters, finding something as early as possible helps in the short term as well as long term. You'll also be more intimate with how your game runs and why, how everything works together.

You also never know when a "bug" (unintended side effect) might be considered an awesome feature.

Do you want them to shoot at roughly the same time, or just be able to shoot up to 2 projectiles at a time?

I don't have time to review your code too much at the moment, but an easy way to do it would be to create a "pool" of just 2 projectiles, then on button press it selects a projectile IF one isn't active (aka, not on screen). Disable the projectiles on impact.

Too much math for me to function, lol. Love the art style though! Good job finishing your project! Keep us posted on how it does as it picks up steam. :thumbup:

Hahaha. Well thank you!!

My Instagram is like my DevLog for anyone interested to keep up with what I'm doing:

https://www.instagram.com/zareth_elementz/

*twitch* Numbers. I .. I ... I CANT .

hahahahahah, well made. Looks awesome!

Thank you!! I'm continuing to work on it, excited to see where it goes. :)

Played your game and took some video (I'll upload later and link ya). Got to as round 4000 points before having to get back to work.

This would work excellent as one of those old school handheld pocket games. Plays almost exactly like one, which is cool.

Definitely had fun finding a good pattern to collect the waste and seeing how the power ups work.

Good base game, has a lot of potential and different ways you could build on it. Thank you for sharing. :)

Pooling is like having x amount of boomerangs, throwing them, then regaining them. It's taking an object and storing it in memory so it can be quickly accessed, and the "creation' processing only happens that one time. Good for things like bullets or random platform generators (like my code below)

When you Instantiate a new object then throw it in the garbage (calling Destroy), you wait for Unity to actually get rid of that object from memory entirely.

Example. You have 300 bullets pooled. No matter what's happening to those bullets, the amount remains 300. So you can have a lot of bullets on screen at the same time while never actually making new ones.

If you instantiate a new bullet for every shot, if the game is a quick first person shooter, you're going to be firing a lot more than 300 bullets accumulative. There could be thousands of bullet objects sitting in the garbage collector that Unity is just sitting on. That accounts for a lot of resources used.

It's not really commented on much, but here's a snippet of my code for my level manager, the parts for the pooling of the platforms for my game squareroot2.

This is the game manager essentially, pooling the platforms into a List, then duplicating them by "pooled amount".

I have a similar issue in my game squareroot2. But mine was caused by differences in using FixedUpdate vs Update in various code (platform spawner, platform movement). If for the movement I use Update, the platforms generate with a slight gap. But switching to FixedUpdate the gape disappears and everything is aligned perfectly. Essentially the calculations of movement + spawning all needed to be in sync.